Life, Love, Long Hair, Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth, and other mysteries

All this and more, from a semi-Serbian, slightly sane, former editor for physicians and surgeons, who is the mother of seven kids.


Friday 2 March 2012

Don't Let Me Get Me!

First time I heard this song was in 2005 while sitting in my '74 Mercedes, waiting in the passenger seat while Sweet Man ran into Kamloops City Hall to pay a bill.

Good ol' crappy radio in my car, with eight preset buttons for AM and FM, and no CD player.

Not even a cassette deck.

Sometimes the volume button would decide I needed to hear something super loud, without warning.

(If you're reading this via email, click on the email title to get into the blog coz there's a video here).


Don't let me get me!

I can be pretty hard on myself.

There's a fine line between accepting who I am and wanting to be better.

I'm aware that I can be annoying, and to those who I inadvertently annoy, I do apologize.

I've long been a perfectionist - not in what I expect of others, but rather in what I expect of myself.

My fifth grade teacher, Mr. Nickel, even gave me an award for it.  He'd made a different one for each person in the class.  Mine was "Perfectionist".

"Do you know what that means?" he asked me.

Not wanting to admit that that was the first time I'd heard the word, I shyly nodded and smiled a little, but he kindly explained it to the rest of the class, sparing me a consultation with my secret friend - Noah Webster.

(Yes, I used to read the dictionary, but that's another story.)

I'm trying not to be a perfectionist anymore.

It's getting easier to admit - yea to accept, and maybe even laugh at - my imperfections.

That's not to say I'm going to stop trying to improve, but only that I will not aim for that which I do not need to be.

Look in the mirror and tell that person, "I love you."

God loves you, so why shouldn't you?



"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
  ~Voltaire


If you like my writing, check out my other entries, and click "follow" on the top left of this page. 


A few other posts you may enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. I have trouble with the fine line too, specially with my weight :/ It's hard indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a fine line... seeing something about myself that I am not crazy about, knowing I should fix it, but not wanting to become too worried over it along the way.

      And hence I say, "That's not to say I'm going to stop trying to improve, but only that I will not aim for that which I do not need to be."

      Delete

Talk to me - please.