- Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
- Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
- Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
- Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
- Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
- Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
- Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
- When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?
(The above list copied from this web page.)
The author, Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D, says the above are some characteristic behaviors of a Highly Sensitive Person. I've read similar stuff over the years and it always resonates with me.
Sometimes I wonder, though, how common is it?
Are you like that to any degree? Comment and let me know yay or nay.
Here's a song by Jewel, on sensitivity...
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Added March 23, 2012: Here is a link for a Psychology Today article by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D, entitled Time Magazine: "The Power of (Shyness)" and High Sensitivity, from Time Magazine
Dig my writing? There's lots more listed chronologically in the right hand column on this page. And you can subscribe by clicking on the "follow" button at the top of the page.
Here are a few quick picks: